Tuesday, February 26, 2008

spring is in the air

I can hear it, I can feel it, I can taste it! Although February tends to drag on and on and on and on and on after a cold, dark winter (despite the fact it is only 29 days long), it is actually one of my favorite months. Not only does it precede my birthday month, but certain signs of spring start to pop up.

My absolute favorite is the length of sunlight we see in a day. A few weeks ago I noticed as I opened the garage door to leave for work that the sun was starting to peek out. Last week as I left the gym at 5:45pm, it was still light out, for the entire 5 minute drive home...full on sunshine! Seriously, there are days that I might not even see a glimpse of sunlight as I have an interior office.

And on Saturday morning I awoke to a bird chirping. Yes, a bird!!! Only two days before it was 10 below zero. On this wonderful Saturday the temperature rose to 40 degrees and birds were chirping. The pavement was wet as the snow slowly started to disappear. My tired, dull, wool winter coat felt too warm for a 40 degree day, and I craved something grilled- a hamburger or cheesy brat (with a beer, but that will have to wait for a few months).

While I am not naive to the fact that Minnesota will be bombarded with a snowstorm and a string of cold days, there is hope...spring is just around the corner. It is inevitable, it will come!

And this year, as I notice Mother Nature's little miracles- the grass starting to turn green, the budding trees, robins nurturing their eggs- I will anxiously be awaiting my own little miracle.

0 comments: